Men Elite Road Race from Edinburgh to Glasgow
Travel & Transport Impacts across Scotland’s Central Belt during the Championships.
Edinburgh to Glasgow.
Where might be impacted
Edinburgh, Fife, Clackmannanshire, Falkirk, Stirling, East Dunbartonshire and Glasgow.
Sunday 6 August.
Impact on the Transport Network
Road closures will be in place for the race:
- At the start in Edinburgh, visit City of Edinburgh Council for road closure details and timing
- On the M90 and A90 Northbound. The M90 will close at the M9 J1A slip at around 8:45am with the M90 J1A at Queensferry expecting to close around one hour later to protect riders and allow the race to pass safely across the bridge. The A90 Northbound from the Barnton Junction, Edinburgh will be closed from around 9:30am until cyclists are over the Queensferry Crossing. Visit Traffic Scotland for further information
- M876 / A876 Access to Clackmannanshire and Kincardine Bridges:
- M876 (Eastbound) : Closed from J7 (M876 / M9) to the A876 (Bowtrees Junction) from 9:45am until approximately 11:00am
- A876 (Eastbound): Closed from M876 (Bowtrees Junction) across the Clackmannanshire and Kincardine Bridges from 9:45am until approximately 11:00am
- Rolling road closures will be in operation on these routes in a westbound direction from approximately 10:20am to 11:00am
- Visit Traffic Scotland for further information
- At the finish in Glasgow, visit Get Ready Glasgow for road closure timings and details
- For the remainder of the race, a rolling road closure will be in operation across the event route, with roads closed for around 30-45 minutes. This means roads on and around the route will be closed for the short period in which it takes the race to pass by – usually around 15 minutes before the estimated time of arrival (see timings here) until approximately 10 minutes after the last rider has passed. Closures are indicated by police escort vehicles and will last around 30-45 minutes in total.
- Road closures will be in place for the race. Consider avoiding using the car on this day if you can. If you do need to use the car, plan ahead, allow extra time for your journey and avoid the road closure times.
- The Queensferry Crossing and Forth Road Bridge and will be closed northbound for a short duration in the morning. Avoid travelling in the area by car if you can. If you need to use the crossings, you may wish to consider delaying your journey until the afternoon.
- The Clackmannanshire and Kincardine Bridges are closed for a short duration in the morning and will severely limit road connections north and south of the Forth. If you need to use the crossings, you may wish to consider delaying your journey until the afternoon.
- The route limits movement on the A985 at Kincardine so the local road network may experience some disruption. Consider rerouting or retiming your journey if you can.
- Road closures to the west of Edinburgh will limit access to Edinburgh airport from the north and west. Travel to and from the airport will take longer than usual - plan ahead and give yourself enough time to avoid potential disruption.
- Significant road closures will be in place in Glasgow City Centre, avoid travelling in the area by car if you can.
- There may be localised congestion on the route. Traffic may feel busier than usual due to the rolling road closures and spectators gathering to see the race.
- Bus services will be impacted with diversions in place and changes to timetables. Check with your operator before you travel.
- If travelling to the Edinburgh Festivals, consider leaving the car at home and be aware of impacts to bus services.